Harmony Event??? (Chicago)

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:03 pm

Yeah, it's happening tonight. I don't have a ticket yet though...I hope if I get there on time I should be ok...I will write about it, don't worry.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:05 am

Shit man, it was sold out. First time ever I saw people waiting in line around the corner!

Waited a bit, like an hour and a half with nothing to do. The weak people left, I stuck around and patience paid off when a guy came up to me and said his pal blew him off and he let me in the show for free! Just missed the first three people, which is fine.

Got in when Bill Callahan was reading. Wanted to see him, White Magic and Harmony mainly.

But I'll spare you those details.

HK went up on stage and read this peice about two characters (i'm kinda buzzed right now so apologies in advance)

It was this totally fucking solid peice, very very well written...St. Laffyette George was one character, another uncle Adams, how these characters have influenced 'his' life...sort of...about rapes and sexual perversion and self restraint, what it means for a man to love a woman, and that this also means being able to kill her.

FUCK. I drank too much, but the peice was very wonderful...

I think everyone was there to see him. He seemed shy and serious about reading. I thought people would be flocked around him blabbing on and so forth...I saw him look my direction as someone knocked into me, he was totally approachable but I had nothing to say... I wanted to ask him about Nashville and stuff to do there, dumb topics like that.

He's a good guy- I know there are some weirdos that post about him being a drughead, a phonie and all of that shit, but seeing him read one peice I could sense his genuine talent...

Anonymous

empty bottle

Postby Anonymous » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:11 pm

we made it out to the bar early, caught up with harm. he was very timid, but we spent an amiable amount of time one on one.

i didn't hear his whole reading, mostly because he was so soft-spoken. however from what i heard it was precise.

what else can i say... the rest is history.

"none of you will ever know my intentions." -cassavates

foot foot

Postby foot foot » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:24 pm

you lucky bastards...

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:49 pm

Yeah, I barely made it in at all. But once I did, I was right front and center when he went on. People in the back gabbed on so loudly...

It seemed maybe he felt kind of out of place? I mean, he didn't have anyone to hang out with there and hadn't worked with anyone else that performed, he seemed restless, moving around a bunch. I'd see him standing somewhere, think about approaching him, and he'd be gone.

His reading was the best. Everyone else relied on dumb humor...

Anonymous

Harmony Advocates Murder!

Postby Anonymous » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-xyz+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xyz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--> what it means for a man to love a woman, and that this also means being able to kill her.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

excuse me! Harmony is a degenerate.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:24 pm

so what was harmony wearing and did he look scruffy, or was he wearing a suit?

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:24 pm

Man, my mind is worn already- was it Harmony describing someone with balsa wood shin guards? Or who the hell was that?

He was wearing clothes...

Brutus
Site Administrator

Postby Brutus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:39 pm

This was posted in the guestbook of HarmonyKorine.com by a Mr. X:

Lotsa thanx to Harmony for coming out to the Empty Bottle last Thursday night for "Aquacade I"!I've been going to the Bottle for 10 years and other than the "Brighter Death Now" concert last June, I have never seen such a massive turn out! Let me tell you, he is a real "fan's man"! I spotted him making his way through the sold-out crowd by himself after letting my pal answer my phone to talk to some guy he hardly knows that was calling me and I left the bar,amped out on Ritalin,somewhat tipsy,yet invigorated,forgetting I ordered a couple of drinks and I went up to ask if I should give him the video I made for him then, or after his reading(not knowing what to expect his reaction to be)and he's like, "Oh, you can give it to me now, that's no problem..." and after fidgeting with the four zippers on my bag like a shaky, nervous ,little grandma for what seemed like an hour and a half ,while being screamed at and flagged down by the bartender to pay for the drinks I ordered I managed to question him about the status of "Ken Park" and if we'll see it playing in Chicago any time soon as well and if he is going to do "Herpes" or not.I also grilled him to see if he was a fan of the films "My Sweet Satan", "I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse", or the black vs. white flick "Fight For Your Life". Through all my "mad-fan" probings he reminded me of the "cool,older cousin you admire, who lives far away and who you only see every 10 years or so".I remember he was wearing some kind of oil or cologne that smelled awesome too! His spoken word segment of the event was short, but completely captivating.From the moment he started until the moment he stopped it was like everything going on in the room paused and I was completely gripped by what he read(which was announced to be something new that had never been read before)(I won't say what it was about---not because I was too fried-out,I remember it of course, but because you had to be there to experience it first person to hear the inflection of his voice and catch the whole mood of it). Wow, this is pretty long! But for those of you still reading, if you hear Harmony is coming to town, go see him and try to meet him, he's a great guy!

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:26 pm

i hung out with him at the empty bottle.

Anonymous

My Harm Article

Postby Anonymous » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:03 pm

Harm On Me: Korine
By Melissa

“Art needs structure.” Says independent film protagonist Harmony Korine. He was responding to a comment I had made on an art school I recently attended and had come to believe the curriculum entailed too much structure; this coming from a man who dictated schizophrenia with ease like no other in his 1999 release Julien Donkey-Boy. Standing at no more than five foot five, I coddled his attention while listening to the sound-check before the Empty Bottle’s grand opening for Aquacade I. He is sipping on a
glass of rum and coke and his eyes are impartial to the surroundings, yet seemingly empirical when he looking at me. The intensity of his dark-eyed glare has the capability to make any admirer of his work shudder, yet simulates a sense of reassurance that he is open with anyone who may approach him.
I began to inquire about his most recent endeavors, seeing how he hasn’t been in the spotlight for an extended period of time.
“I’m living in Nashville, working on a screenplay.” He openly admits.
I’ve come to realize that he is very discrete and very brief, almost as if he may be trouncing all truths. I look at him with a sense of despair, hoping I wasn’t prying too much. Then again I question that this could be another act, but his eyes are growing dim, quietly begging for sympathy. He gives me a gestured smile, tapping his head in the direction of the other room for the reason that the band had become rather loud and distracting.
I pace myself behind him as we toddle into the poolroom. He lights a cigarette, looking over at a couple that was playing pool, I arrest my feet to a single space.

“Are you a pool shark?” He calmly asks.
“Depends.”
“Do you gamble?” He calmly asks.
“With money?”
I look at him in utter confusion.
“How about with your life?”

It felt as though my questions, which were obviously much too personal, were being transformed into one of his stories. I became insecure about the conversation, realizing that the writer’s tactic was abroad. He searches my face for news of his fate and I agree to continue the discussion post his reading.

I leave the Empty Bottle only to return in less than an hour to a sold-out venue. I had become nostalgic after a few drinks from a bar a block away, and at this point it has become clear that Harmony Korine as himself, not as an actor or a director, with absolutely no power is a typical, exceedingly protective artist whom of which is still exhibits no power over his male anatomy. And it seems as he read later that night the impression was unaffected.

His performance was a brief and intimate focus on two characters, St. Lafayette
George and Uncle Adams as characters who had influenced his life. He mainly touched base on ideas of rape, sexual perversion, as well as self-restraint, which perhaps would make him the Anti-Christ to feminists everywhere.

“What it means for a man to love a woman also means being able to kill her.” He clearly stated.

He exits the stage with a sense of accomplishment, laptop under his arm, however he slips away unnoticed. He beckons to me in the direction of the VIP area as he passes, his hand gracing my arm. I receive the intuition that the character portrayed in KIDS, Telly, was Harmony Korine’s alter ego. It came to be that as he was shielding his personality, brief stints of insecurity wept out in between his words, Harmony had become less than the martyr I had made him out to be. In attempt to negate any sort of emotion that I had once felt I found myself needing to differentiate the admiration for his work and the realization that he is a ordinary guy, but an artist.

-Melissa

Anonymous

Re: My Harm FArticle

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Melissa+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Melissa)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Harm On Me: Korine
By Melissa <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Melissa+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Melissa)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I receive the intuition that the character portrayed in KIDS, Telly, was Harmony Korine’s alter ego. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bull. You recieved shit. You got that word for word from my post in the "Harmony seeing someone?" thread.

<!--QuoteBegin-Melissa+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Melissa)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->He beckons to me in the direction of the VIP area as he passes, his hand gracing my arm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really, did he make you take your pants off and molest you too?

<!--QuoteBegin-Melissa+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Melissa)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The intensity of his dark-eyed glare has the capability to make any admirer of his work shudder, yet simulates a sense of reassurance that he is open with anyone who may approach him...In attempt to negate any sort of emotion that I had once felt I found myself needing to differentiate the admiration for his work and the realization that he is a ordinary guy, but an artist. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Melissa" Bitch, you know what it sounds like to me? It sounds like you just came in here and picked out pieces from other people's posts to put in your own paragraph, including the title "Harm on Me."
Yeah harm on you for stealing other people's words and attempting to pass them off as something original and then actually having the gall to come back here and post it.
"blah blah blah, Harmony has dark intense eyes blah blah He's open to anyone who wants to approach him blah blah Harm's just a guy blah. Really? Gee, uhhhh, Haven't seen any of that posted here before.
In fact you did not say one original thing in that whole post that I have not read in this forum before.
You know what? I bet you didn't even go to the show. I bet you are just some psycho girl sitting at her computer making up wet dreams of meeting Harmony from other people's experiences.
And if you really did meet Harmony, I feel sorry for him.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:50 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bgirl+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgirl)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Melissa" Bitch, you know what it sounds like to me? It sounds like you just came in here and picked out pieces from other people's posts to put in your own paragraph, including the title "Harm on Me."
Yeah harm on you for stealing other people's words and attempting to pass them off as something original and then actually having the gall to come back here and post it.
"blah blah blah, Harmony has dark intense eyes blah blah He's open to anyone who wants to approach him blah blah Harm's just a guy blah. Really? Gee, uhhhh, Haven't seen any of that posted here before.
In fact you did not say one original thing in that whole post that I have not read in this forum before.
You know what? I bet you didn't even go to the show. I bet you are just some psycho girl sitting at her computer making up wet dreams of meeting Harmony from other people's experiences.
And if you really did meet Harmony, I feel sorry for him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bgirl's a GANGSTER!!!!

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:02 am

okay, I didn't mean to call her a bitch, but I don't regret anything else.

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:14 am

It's funny that people find it so hard to believe that Harmony Korine, the man behind Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy, is troubled.

Return to “Harmony Korine”